Here is a video I made about keeping Austin weird:
SXSW Survival Tips for 2009
Here are some good guidelines for those heading down to SXSW for the first time and need some advice:
- Be careful who you give spare change to, some of the “homeless” are actually guitarists in British bands and get offended easily.
- If someone tells you they are having a party for their new internet based startup that helps bands reach fans, stab them in the heart and run, especially if the party is in East Austin. They’re lying — they are how modern-day vampires trick humans into becoming food.
- If you get to a late night party and aren’t on the guest list, NEVER go “Do you know who I am?” to try to get in. However, that will totally work, if you say it and pretend to have amnesia. A slight change in tone turns you from from being a dick, to being a sweetheart who doesn’t know who he is. You’ll be invited in, handed some bourbon, and allowed to watch Echo and The Bunnymen.
- Go to the Yard Dog day parties. And also to Ben’s BBQ across I35 on E 11th street.
- If you want to see the breakout band this year (I forget who they will be) then get to the club by around 9:15 (8:30 if you just have a wristband) or just go see them at Urban Outfitters one afternoon.
- Don’t try a drug you’ve never heard of before, even if the guy who gives it to you is wearing a cool jacket.
- If a man in a suit mentions either a 360 deal or the power of social networking sites, without making any sudden movements, walk away slowly — he is a robot (built by fearful major record labels) from the year 2011 sent back to bore up-and-coming bands until they quit music to regain a foothold on the industry.
- If you hook up with someone make sure they are the same race as you — JK — there’s no such thing as black or white (though there is Asian) — we’re all the same shade of rock and roll (I’m not sure what I mean).
- Headbands are cool — but if you wear one, don’t hang out with too many other people wearing headbands — because a headband is like a drummer — one is good, two is okay, but any more than that and you’ve formed a world band by accident.
- Have fun and enjoy all the free shoes.